
Today we are going to explore Beautiful Avignon. After a very late start I decide it's Sunday I'll put on a dress to people will at least THINK we went to church. We set out to find somewhere for a nice breakfast(now lunch). We find a little cafe and sit down with a bottle of wine. Stacy drank the whole bottle. Well you would think I did after getting up bumping the table and breaking a glass. You can take the girl out of Dundalk but you can't take the Dundalk out of the girl. The server was very amused he said something to Paul about after a bottle of white wine...I don't remember but Paul found it funny. He also told him he was going to add the glass to the check. After a quick stop at a internet cafe we head into town to go to the Palace of the Popes.
History bit: The Palace of the Popes is the symbol of the Church's influence over the western world during the 14th century. Built in less than 20 years starting in 1335, the palace is primarily the work of two Popes, Benedict XII and his successor, Clement VI. Today, their work is the biggest existing Gothic Palace in the world. It was truly beautiful! Also Part of our day was visiting the Legendary bridge. The bridge was built during the 12th century and was the only crossing point along the Rhone river, the natural boundary between the kingdom of France and the Holy Roman Germanic Empire. Legend has it that young Shepard Benezet heard divine voices instructing him to build the bridge. The bridge was destroyed by Louis VIII during the Albigensian Crusade, and was then rebuilt in the late 13th century. Raging flood waters damaged it, and it was definitively abandoned in the 17th century. Today there remain only 4 of the original 22 arches, and a lovely Romanesque chapel dedicated to the bridges patron saint. The famous song Sur le pont d'Avignon, which goes back to the 15th century is known the world over. Also very beautiful. What fun to be standing on such history.
Getting late we need to decide on dinner. I'm hooked now I just want a kebob! We get kebobs from our awesome kebob place and head back down to the bridge to enjoy our last beautiful evening in Avignon. The river was so still, the city looked so pretty at night with all the lights. Another moment I didn't want to end. All these beautiful places, I'm so lucky to have had the chance to see them with someone I love so much. On the way back we get a crepe and its off to bed. Tomorrow we head to Carcassonne another wall city!
No comments:
Post a Comment